Voting and Elections

Voter Registration

How do I register to vote in New Mexico?

What do I need to provide when I register to vote by mail?

  • If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico, and you submit the registration form by mail, then you must submit with the form a copy of (1) a current and valid photo identification; or (2) a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address. If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, then you will be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee.
  • Once the county clerk has accepted the form for filing, individuals or groups may make a public records request. However, the day and month of birth and the Social Security number on the form is always privacy protected.

How do I check whether I am registered in New Mexico?

  • You can check your registration status using the Secretary of State’s online Voter Services, available here.

Where can I get a Voter Registration Application Form?

  • In New Mexico, we have distributed registration forms throughout county clerks offices. The forms are also available at the Secretary of State’s office in Santa Fe, Motor Vehicle Division offices, and many other public assistance offices. You can also call our office at 1.800.477.3632 and ask for a registration form to be mailed to you or click here to download a Voter Registration Form from our website.

How long do I need to be a resident of New Mexico before I can register to vote?

  • You can register immediately upon becoming a resident.

I recently moved to New Mexico and do not have a New Mexico state I.D. nor driver’s license, can I register to vote?

  • Yes! You do not need a New Mexico MVD issued I.D. or driver’s license to vote. MVD issued forms of identification are only required for online registration and online absentee ballot requests.
  • You can use the paper application found here: (English Español) to register to vote. Your out-of-state I.D. or driver’s license in combination with a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address to meet the identification requirement. (Section 1-4-5.1(I) NMSA 1978).

When does voter registration close?

  • Voter registration closes 28 days prior to an election. (Section 1-4-8, NMSA 1978).
  • Same-Day Voter Registration: Same day voter registration is available. Click HERE for FAQ page
  • Registration applications may be submitted by hand or mail to the appropriate county clerks through the Friday following the registration deadline, provided the date and/or postmark is before the deadline (28 days prior to the election). (Section 1-4-8 (F), NMSA 1978).

Do I need to register for every election?

  • No, registration is permanent in New Mexico. If you have moved and not voted in several years, it is possible your name may be removed from the voter rolls in accordance with the National Voter Registration Act (see National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) Questions, below). Check your voter registration status to make sure you are registered and all your information is correct at

Do I need to change my registration if I move?  Even if I move to a different address in the same city?

  • Yes, the content of your ballot including districted offices, bond questions, and other types of ballot contests is directly associated with the precinct of your physical address of registration.

Am I required to select a political party in order to complete the registration form?

  • No. You can choose to select a political party affiliation if you wish, or you can decide to not be affiliated with any political party. The choice is yours to make and does not impact the validity of your registration form.
  • Any applicant may choose to check the “No Party” box on the application; however, New Mexico has a closed primary, so only those registered in a major political party may participate in the primary election. The major political parties in New Mexico are:
    • Democratic Party
    • Republican Party
    • Libertarian Party
  • Voters who are affiliated with all other political parties or voters who have no political party affiliation may not vote in primary elections in New Mexico. However, all voters regardless of political affiliation are invited to participate in all other elections.

How do I change my party?

  • You need to fill out a new voter registration form and submit it to the county clerk or Secretary of State’s office or submit a new registration online in order to change your party affiliation.

I am 17 years old now but will be 18 before the next state general election. Can I complete a voter registration form now and will I then be able to sign petitions?

  • You may complete the voter registration form now, but you may not sign any petition.  17 year olds who will be 18 by the general election may participate in the primary election.  Voters must be 18 to participate in all other elections.
  • By completing the voter registration form now, you are in essence pre-registering but you do not become an eligible voter until you have reached your 18th birthday. Only eligible voters may sign petitions or vote in an election.

A person on the street offered to help me register to vote. Is that valid?

State law allows for Third-Party Registration Agents to assist persons to register to vote (Section 1-4-49, NMSA 1978). These agents must attend a training and register with the Secretary of State’s Office.  They can proof the validity of their third party registration agent status by showing you their notarized ‘Voter Registration Agent Identification Form.’

I have an unlisted phone number. Do I have to provide that information on the voter registration form?

  • No, however, it does come in handy if the Secretary of State or County Clerk need to contact you in the event there is an issue concerning the processing of your registration. If you have an unlisted phone number and you are willing to provide that number, simply check “No” next to the phone number and we will not disclose that number to anyone else.

How do I know that my voter registration application form was received and processed?

  • You can check your registration status at any time using our My Registration Information tool:
  • Once the county clerk has processed your registration form, they will send confirmation of your registration by mail in the form of a voter information card.  Once you receive the card, please review it to make certain there are no errors in the spelling of your name, your address or your political party affiliation. The time it takes to process your voter registration application varies from county to county and depends on whether the registration books are closed due to an upcoming election.  Please contact your county clerk if you have any questions about your registration being processed.

Will I be notified if there is a problem with my registration form?

  • ​Yes. If the form you submit is missing information that prevents your registration, you will be notified by a letter sent to the address on the registration form. That letter is sent within ten days or less from receipt of your form. The letter will specify what the problem with your registration form is and will include a new registration form or other instructions on how to correct the situation.

What happens if I register to vote after registration closes (within 28 days of an election)?

  • If you register to vote after registration has closed, the county clerk will still accept your voter registration application but it will not be processed until the thirty-five (35) days after the election.

Can I register to vote if I have been convicted of a crime? 

  • If you are currently incarcerated for a felony offense you cannot vote or register to vote while you are incarcerated.
  • However, once you are no longer confined to a jail, prison, or other correctional facility you can register and vote in New Mexico elections. You can register to vote and vote even if you are on probation or parole.

What do I need to do to have my voting rights restored following a felony conviction?

  • As you are finishing your incarceration you will be given the chance to register to vote, either through an online portal or paper form, or when you are obtaining a license or ID card through the Motor Vehicles Department (MVD).
  • If you were already registered to vote before your incarceration, you will be given the chance to update your existing registration as you are finishing your incarceration.

What are the currently qualified political parties in New Mexico?

Major Parties

  • Democratic Party of New Mexico
  • Republican Party of New Mexico
  • Libertarian Party of New Mexico

In New Mexico, only major political party candidates will appear on the Primary Election ballot. The three major political parties are the New Mexico Democratic Party, the New Mexico Republican Party and the Libertarian Party of New Mexico.

Minor Parties (Qualified Political Parties in New Mexico)

  • New Mexico Working Families Party
  • Green Party of New Mexico

Qualified minor party candidates may appear on the General Election ballot and are nominated for office pursuant to the party rules on file with the Secretary of State and pursuant to NMSA 1978 §§  1-8-2 and 1-8-3.

Upcoming Statewide Elections

2024 Primary Election: Tuesday, June 4, 2024

2024 General Election: Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Quick Contact Information

Mailing & Physical Address
New Mexico Capitol Annex North
325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Hours of Operation
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday

Toll Free : 1-800-477-3632

Business Services Division
Phone 505-827-3600 (Option 1)
Fax 505-827-4387

Bureau of Elections
Phone: 505-827-3600 (Option 2)

Ethics Division
Phone: 505-827-3600 (Option 2)

Phone 505-827-3600 (Option 3)

Accessibility Options button